|1001 Lavayette Dr.|
Farmington, PA 15437
Small, but classy – just what you’d expect from a resort casino.
The Lady Luck casino is part of the luxurious and beautifully high-end Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, located in southwestern Pennsylvania, 40 miles south of Pittsburgh.
The Lady Luck is currently one of only two casinos in the state that were licensed to operate as part of a pre-existing resort hotel. As such, it has a restricted gaming license that has a couple peculiar quirks, namely:
- There can be a maximum of 50 table games and 600 slot machines in the casino.
- Casino access is restricted to resort members, resort guests, those attending a conference or private function at the resort, or those who have purchased $10 or more in resort amenities.
The first restriction puts real limits on the amount of games that can be offered at Lady Luck. The second is more of a nuisance. Visitors wishing to play can satisfy this requirement by simply purchasing $10 worth of anything at a resort restaurant, bar, or gift shop, etc.
First, let’s look at the resort and it’s amenities.
Since the Lady Luck is one of Pennsylvania’s two “resort casinos” and as such is smaller and more restricted than other casinos in the state, it makes sense to describe the resort first before diving into details of the casino. After all, very few people will be interested in travelling all the way here and suffering all the expense and bureaucratic hassle to play in a relatively small casino unless they are interested in the resort as well.
The Nemacolin Woodlands Resort is a beauty. It is located on 2,000 acres in the Laurel Highlands area of southern Pennsylvania. The property first opened in 1987 and has gone through multiple expansions since that time. The Lady Luck casino wasn’t added until the summer of 2013.
At present, the resort can proudly boast the following amenities:
- Over 320 luxurious rooms and suites – There are three distinct hotel lodging options in addition to rentable townhomes and luxury vacation homes. Oh, and there’s even an additional pet resort and spa.
- A wide assortment of restaurants and lounges – From elegant Five Star dining to refined farm fresh eateries to casual cafes as well as several bars and lounges.
- A world-class spa – The Woodland’s Spa collection is an internationally acclaimed spa destination.
- Two golf courses – Winners of multiple awards and offering lessons, memberships, and private fittings.
- Fun – The resort has a wide assortment of on-site activities and entertainment, as well as other area attractions nearby.
- An in-house shuttle bus system – Taking guests all around the expansive property.
That was just a partial list of what this Five Diamond resort has to offer.
Visitors planning on coming to Nemacolin would be well advised to consider booking their stay using seasonal specials or packages that bundle lodging together with one or more of the resort’s amenities (golf, spa, various other activities). Given the high price tag a resort of this caliber commands, the savings resulting from such an approach can be appreciable.
Luxurious dining, both fine and fun.
The various and plentiful restaurant offerings at Nemacolin range widely, from elegant and refined, farm fresh, quick and casual, and everything in between. Here’s the rundown on the restaurants:
- Lautrec – This extraordinary fine dining destination holds a AAA Five-Diamond award and a Forbes Five-Star award and is helmed by Executive Chef Kristin Butterworth. Lautrec features Prix Fixe and Chef’s tasting menus as well as a 1,200 bottle wine list.
- Rockwell’s – Set in a Tudor-style hunting retreat, this farm-to-table eatery serves the finest cuts of beef, wild game, and fish along with fresh produce produced on property or in partnership with local farmers and growers.
- Aqueous – Billed as “modern cuisine enriched by nature”, this magnificent restaurant is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and features spectacular views of sweeping fairways and bucolic mountains.
- The Pantry – A “gourmet to go” cafe. Dine in or gather a delicious bundle to eat on the property or to stock your vacation rental for your stay.
- The Tavern – A curated gastropub menu paired with wines, local beers, and inventive cocktails, all served in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
- The Caddyshack – A slow-cooked barbecue and rotisserie serving the best of summer smokehouse cuisine and housed in the resort’s original pro shop.
- Otis & Henry’s Bar & Grill – Located in the Lady Luck casino, this classic bar and grill serves delicious comfort food in a casual setting.
- P.J.’s – A fun and whimsical 1950’s style ice-cream parlor and gourmet cafe known for its flatbread pizzas and homemade ice cream creations.
- Lautrec’s Sunday Brunch – Served in Lautrec, this weekly event is a guest favorite and deserves its own mention.
- Paradise Pool – Eat and/or drink poolside without a care in the world.
- Food Truck – Serving unique grab-and-go menu items on the Shepherd’s Rockgolf course. Known for local classics like Farmington Steak & Cheese and Cheeseburger Soup!
Exotic bars and refined lounges.
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort features six bars and lounges (eight counting The Tavern and Otis & Henry’s listed above). That makes for a wide variety of locales for the resort to showcase it’s wide selection of beers and craft brews, it’s enormous selection of high-end and exotic liquors, and bottles from it’s enormous public wine cellar – claimed to be the largest in the state.
Here are all the spots where you can wet your whistle – in style:
- The Bar at Rockwell’s – Known for it’s hand-crafted cocktails, locally brewed beers, and robust selection of whiskeys.
- The Lone Wolf – This bar is located inside the Lady Luck casino, offering up hot food, cool drinks, a dance floor, and nighttime entertainment.
- Amber Bar – This bar is located in the lobby area of Falling Rock boutique hotel. Perfect for meeting friends and socializing before or after dinner.
- Lobby Bar – This bar is located in the lobby of Chateau Lafayette. A grand location to meet friends or unwind after dinner.
- Cigar Bar – Harkening back to the roaring Twenties, this speak-easy style barfeatures doorways that blend into the walls, rich wood, leather chairs, a fireplace, and bartenders in attire reminiscent of the era serving the finest bourbons, scotches, cognacs and Prohibition-style cocktails along with the best wines and beers around.
- Tea Lounge – For guests pining for “the old world”, the elegant afternoon tea service provided here is ideal.
And now, the Lady Luck Casino.
Now that we’ve covered the main attraction for this property (the resort) we can move to the Lady Luck casino and see what it has to offer visitors.
Again, this casino is smaller than most in the state with just 600 slot/keno/video poker machines and only 27 table games. Interestingly, they have made room for a high limit section. This is fitting, given that the high cost of staying and playing here will tend to attract a “high rolling” clientele and keep many smaller limit players away.
Also unlike many other Pennsylvania casinos, there is no poker room at Lady Luck. This is unsurprising as well. Without a stable pool of local players, it would be very difficult to operate a poker room consistently and it makes very little sense to staff and equip one just for sporadic tourist interest.
The casino does offer promotions designed to attract patrons. Visitors should check these out before they come and be sure to take advantage of them while they are here.
Table games with more progressives than one might guess.
Lady Luck operates 27 table games. That’s not many, but they manage what they have quite well, offering a relatively impressive array of the most popular table games and blackjack side bets. Here’s what you’ll find in the pit:
- Blackjack (featuring the 21+3, IN BETween, and House Money side bets as well as the Blazing 7’s progressive side bets)
- Casino War
- Three Card Poker (featuring a progressive side bet)
- Four Card Poker
- Mississippi Stud
- Criss Cross Poker
- Ultimate Texas Hold’em
In addition, Lady Luck operates an additional progressive jackpot for its linked carnival games.
Slot machines, keno, and video poker.
Lady Luck can only maintain 600 machines, but they do their best to keep their offerings updated with the most popular slot, video poker, and keno games desired by the public. The most heavily used current and classic games can be found here at limits ranging from penny and nickle machines to those with much higher limits.
Rewarding the player: The My Fan Club card.
Because the Lady Luck casino is operated by Isle of Capri they use their My Fan Club player rewards system. Membership is free and once signed up, players earn points for their slot machine and table games play. Simply insert the card into your machine before playing and/or hand your card to the dealer before playing table games to have your play tracked and rewarded.
Every 5,000 points earned by the player can be redeemed for either $10 in food/beverage comps, $5 free play, or $2.50 cash or resort credit. Additionally, points earned here can be combined with those earned at other Isle of Capri properties, excluding the Isle Casino at Pompano Park.
The My Fan Club has five different tiers, each one conferring on the player a higher status along with bigger benefits. The five tiers are:
- Club – below 1,900 points
- Select – 2000 to 9,999 points
- Gold – 10,000 to 99,999 points
- Platinun – 100,000 to 999,999 points
- Millionaire – 1,000,000 points and above
All tier scores are reset annually.
Players at the Select level and above receive monthly point multiplier offers. Gold, Platinum, and Millionaire level players receive 2x, 3x, or 4x multiplier offers, respectively.
All members of the My Fan Club program are eligible for promotions, gift giveaways, daily food credits, and other special offers, as well as receiving complimentary valet parking. As players progress through the tiers, they retain the perks and privileges of the lower tiers.
Starting at the Gold level, players also receive:
- A birthday gift
- Become eligible for casino hosting
At the Platinum level, players also receive:
- Priority Fan Club and restaurant service
- Check cashing priviledges
- Premium casino beverage service
At the Millionaire level, players also receive:
- Complimentary overnight stays at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort
- Access to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort activities and amenities
Online gaming from Lady Luck.
As of August, 2018, Lady Luck casino at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort hasn’t entered into Pennsylvania’s nascent online gaming market.
However, they are running an online play money site (operated by Scientific Games) called Play Eldorado. Players can play authentic Vegas-style games online using virtual credits (players get 50,000 free credits when they join). Players can never cash out their winnings in actual dollars, but those winnings can be used to unlock more games and allow the player to keep playing. Additionally, players can purchase additional virtual credits to keep playing when they run out.